EagleAction is going back to do a year-by-year look back review and list every FCS commitment in the state of Massachusetts. On the list will be the players' star ranking, state ranking, the school they signed with and then we come to a conclusion: Overrated, Underrated, Got it Right or Incomplete (for players who never made it to the college level).
This feature is not an indictment on the Rivals star ranking. Instead, it is more of a look to see what kind of talent the state has produced over the period from 2005-2009. 2005 is the starting point because that's the first time that Rivals gave clear state rankings for the Bay State. 2009 is the ending point as those players have finished their college careers.
1. Isaac Johnson (BC) 3-star, Incomplete Johnson showed promise as a young player with BC. As a true freshman, Johnson saw action in most games, albeit in backup duty. In 2009, Johnson played in 12 games and started one. Overall, the cornerback's performance was solid, and many BC fans hoped for good things from him in 2010. Shortly after the '09 season though, Johnson transferred to Cincinnati because of academic and social reasons. Things didn't work out at Cincinnati and he transferred to AIC. It's tough to say if Johnson would've lived up to his three star billing without having seen him play during his last two years of eligibility.
2. Nick Halloran (BC) 3-star, Incomplete - Halloran redshirted his first year at the Heights and played as a backup in his second year. The lineman transferred to Bentley after the 2009 season and had a very good career there. It's tough to evaluate how an All-League performance in DII translates to DI though.
3. Mike Stone (BC) 2-star, Overrated- Stone never saw the field at BC. There is no record of him being on the team after the 2009 season.
4. Jordan Todman (UConn) 2-star, Underrated- Todman might go down as one of the most underrated Massachusetts recruits of the decade. In 2010, Todman was selected as the Big East Player of the Year and 2nd Team All-American after gaining 1,695 yards and 14 touchdowns. Todman left early for the NFL after his junior year, and currently is on the Jacksonville Jaguars roster.
5. Matt Edwards (UConn) 2-star, Overrated- Edwards never saw the field at UConn.
8. Paul Asack (Duke) 2-star, Overrated- Asack never attempted a field goal or extra point at Duke
The class of 2008 totals:
If you missed the 2005 review CLICK HERE
If you missed the 2006 review CLICK HERE
If you missed the 2007 review CLICK HERE