Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
May 20, 2013
MA Recruiting Class of '05
EagleAction is going back to do a year-by-year look back review and list every FCS commitment in the state of Massachusetts. On the list will be the players' star ranking, state ranking, the school they signed with and then come to a conclusion: Overrated, Underrated, Got it Right or Incomplete (for players who never made it to the college level).
This feature is not an indictment on the Rivals star ranking. Instead, it is more of a look to see what kind of talent the state has produced over the period from 2005-2009. 2005 is the starting point because that's the first time that Rivals gave clear state rankings for the Bay State. 2009 is the ending point as those players have finished their college careers.
Here is an explanation of the Rivals rating system.
5 Star- Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
4 Star- All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
3 Star- All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
2 Star- Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
0 Star-Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about
1. James McGillicuddy (Stanford) 4-star, Overrated- The OL gave a soft commit to Harvard in December but ended up signing with the Cardinal in January. McGillicuddy suffered a serious injury to his right knee as a freshman while working with the scout team and needed to have two separate surgeries on the knee. As a senior, McGillicuddy appeared in all 13 games but could never crack the starting lineup.
2. Jared Harrell (Maryland) 3-star, Got it Right- Harrell started all 13 games during his senior season, and was a solid contributor as a junior.
3. Mike McLaughlin (BC) 3-star, Got it Right- In the '08 and '09 seasons McLaughlin was a tackling machine for the Eagles. The middle linebacker started all 14 games as a junior and was second on the team in tackles. Mac's senior season wasn't as successful in terms of statistics since he missed most of September recovering from an Achilles injury. Mac was still able to suit up for 9 games and finished third on the team in tackles.
4. Austin Giles (BC) 3-star, Got it right- After redshirting as a true freshman Giles was a force when he saw action in his second season. Playing as a defensive end, Giles finished second on the team in sacks and tackles for a loss. Giles had a little bit of a drop-off in his sophomore campaign, but finished strong in his last two seasons as he started a total of 22 games.
5. Chris Marinelli (Stanford) 3-star, Underrated- It was a close call deciding between if Marinelli was underrated and got it right. The decision was made when I discovered that Rivals put him on its All-American team in 2009. Marinelli also earned All-PAC-10 First Team honors as well. The offensive lineman was the most successful player from Massachusetts in the 2005 class.
6. Zack Asack (Duke) 3-star, Overrated- Asack's career made him more worthy of a two star recruit because he is probably most famous for getting kicked off the team in two different seasons ('06 and '09). It looked like Asack might have a decent career after his freshman season when he started six games and threw for 966 yards and 5 touchdowns. Asack only started one game after his first season though.
*No other players in the Massachusetts top 10 went to a FBS school.
The class of 2005 totals:
3- Got it Right
Boston College NEWS